Friday, March 15, 2013

Fabergé Friday

It's FRIDAY!!! And I guess we all know what that means by now...FABERGÉ!!! No jewelry this week though. But a lovely little box, created sometime between 1899 and 1903 by Fabergé's head workmaster Mikhail Perkhin!


This little box - 2 inches (5 centimeters) in diameter - is made of pearl white enamel over a guilloché ground. The border around the opening is crafted in two-colored gold.


The thumb piece is set with a cabochon ruby and two diamonds...


...and underneath the box is a star decoration.


The gold flower on top of the lid is set with two rubies, an emerald, three brilliant and three rose-cut diamonds.


Even on the inside you can see what an amazing piece of art this is.


Mikhail Perkhin made a considerable fortune working for Fabergé. He never really got an opportunity to enjoy it though. According to a biography written by Fabergé's chief-designer Franz Birbaum, Perkhin died in a mental asylum...


All pictures are from Romanov Russia.








3 comments:

  1. Oh I love boxes...this one is quite lovely!! I love the design of the white parts...so intricate and pretty. What shame that Perkhin died in a mental asylum, so sad. They were worse back then as they are now. I could imagine this on my dressing table, all grand!! Daydreaming as always!! Have a wonderful Friday & weekend doll, am so glad it's the weekend :))) Husband's birthday tomorrow, so must make cake :))))) <3 <3 <3 Have fun!! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Saw your comment...as soon as I find the right faux fur collar, I'm cutting into that dress :))) And I'm glad grunge is back too...I wish I would have kept all my combat boots, but since they are in the shops now...I will treat myself ;) xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely adore how intricate this is. Despite it being quite tiny there's a lot of glory, majesty and detail involved in the item and I personally find that to be the beauty of all the Faberge items, great post.

    ReplyDelete

Hyper Smash