Sunday, August 28, 2011

40s evacuation shoot

The photographer John Paul Bichard is currently working on a series of photos based on the evacuation of civilians during WWII - which his grandparents, amongst many others, had to go through. For these shoots he needs people dressed in 40s clothes to participate. Since I both loved the idea behind the shoot, vintage clothes, standing in front of a camera, and what I've seen of Bichard's earlier work, I of course wanted to be part of this photographed story.


I put on a dress I've made myself, after a pattern from the 40s.


If you're being evacuated, a hat and a coat are obligatory! The coat is actually from the 70s, but looks like it could have been made in the 40s or 50s, so I thought it fit the occasion. It used to belong to my mother. Now it belongs to me!!! The hat is 40s though.


We gathered in Gamla Stan (The Old Town) in Stockholm, where we then spent the day walking back and forth amongst the alleys, trying not to trip on the cobble stones, stopping now and then when the photographer found a good location.


There are a lot of tourists in Gamla Stan. Today I think our little group was the main attraction. I wonder how many people have pictures of five girls dressed in 40s clothes after today?...


It was a lovely day, and after a few hours John said he was satisfied with what he had in his camera and went home. At that time all of us girls started getting real withdrawal symptoms from not having drunk coffee for too long, so we went to Statsmissionen and got high on caffeine again!

1 comment:

Hyper Smash